You’ve seen parts of our kitchen in roughly half of our posts, but since this is our first indoor project I thought I would formally invite you in.
Our kitchen has had many faces in the eleven months we have lived here. We are pretty confident 95% of our kitchen is Ikea. We know this, not only because the counters, cabinets, and sink scream Ikea; but because darn near everything we have contributed is Ikea. And in true Ikea form it all works beautifully together.
The first thing we took on was the lack of a pantry. Before settling on our current solution (briefly mentioned here), we were using a shelving unit (Kallax series at Ikea) we bought when we lived in Massachusetts. What was once used in our basement to store art supplies was now in the kitchen holding our microwave and filled with everything we could possibly get to fit. (You don’t want to see a picture of that hot mess.)
Once we upgraded to the Norden occasional table to resolve our pantry issues, the shelving unit took center stage and acted as our island. Ryan even attached casters to the bottom so we could freely move it around the room.
I like how big the room feels without it, but it has been so incredibly handy while providing more food storage, I couldn’t object. It has become the most prominent piece in the room especially with the island complete. It’s easily the most sociable place in the house. Every time we have guests over, we find ourselves gathered around the Ikea hacked island cooking, eating, drinking, and talking away. Not to mention all the help it provides while canning.
We use our Ikea hack more than our counter tops. It is our number one go-to and we were able to assemble it for under $100.
Ikea Hack – kitchen island
Here’s what we bought for this project:
- Kallax shelving unit 30 3/8×30 3/8” for 39.99 – Ikea
- Casters (Everbilt 2 in. Swivel Non-Marking Rubber Caster) – 3.98
- Two baskets (Ikea As-Is finds- $5?)
- Two LÄMPLIG cutting boards 18×20 ¾” for 9.99 each
- Rail – 6.99
Like I said above, the first step we took was attaching the casters.
Then, since we already had baskets (from when the unit acted as the art storage) all I had to do was swap fabrics and knitting supplies for potatoes and onions.
For now, we are going to keep using our mix matched woven cubes. One day we will get around to buying two matching. I like leaving the other two spaces open for one of our several cute (and sentimental) wooden bowls and keeping cookbooks at arms reach but ‘out of sight.’
To get the cutting boards ready, Ryan applied mineral oil to help preserve the life of the boards organically. It also helps guard against germs and mold growth.
We like that we can flip the boards to use either side, but didn’t like that they had a tendency to move on you. That’s when we added grippers. Works like a charm.
Another add-on was a bar to the side of the cubed unit. It’s handy for hanging a different utensils for cooking (it also doubled up as a location to dry our Chemex coffee filters). We were able to pick little hooks up (Ikea) for under $3, making this an easy and cheap addition.
There you have it. Our first Ikea hack success. No mess, no fuss and we love it.